8 steps for dealing effectively with unacceptable employee behaviour in the workplace
Conduct is challenging to deal with in the workplace, here are some of the top tips to deal with unacceptable employee behaviour:
- Deal with incidents within 24 hours
- Keep your cool. If you are struggling to stay calm, walk away and come back when you are calm.
- Be clear on the consequences with the employee of repeat offences verbally and in writing
- Document investigation(have a witness present)
- Create a conduct framework for what is expected. Use as working document, so it is evolving as the team evolve
- Use the core values to support discussion regarding desired behaviour
- Make it safe for others to come forward
- Don’t confuse conduct with performance. Conduct is for someone who has no will and no skill, Performance is for someone with will and no skill.
Managers that fail to act on poor conduct, will lose respect of the team. People don’t leave businesses they leave managers.
Are you dealing effectively with unacceptable employee behaviour in the workplace?