I am often asked how do you work successfully with my current boss. Firstly that’s a great question to ask if you are working with someone new.
Styles vary enormously and understanding from someone who knows is a great way to prepare working with a new leader. Also as my business coach says ‘never die wondering’ ask them.
Here are five key areas to focus:
1. The more senior the leader the more precious their time is. So short sharpe messages. Summarise always, if they need to know more then they will ask.
2. Never send presentations or emails longer than a few sentences. If you need their time ensure you include in the request the purpose of the presentation: to inform, instruct, inspire or decision making, also include Length of time for presentation and Q&A , when you need to present. Keep it very short and sharp.
3. Bad news or potential bad news early. Here is how to do it https://angelalovegrove.com/2021/02/28/fyi-no-action-required-escalation-possible/
4. Reliability. Know the facts and if you don’t know say so. Passing information which is unreliable will damage trust, so if you don’t know say so and find out the answer quickly.
5. Your job is to make your boss look good. Results, successful delivery of initiatives, insights are all opportunities to elevate your boss.
Most of all have fun! Hope these are helpful.