There are some unwritten and unspoken rules to getting in incorporate. Here are 10 things you need to nail to get on.
1. Get on with everyone. You cannot afford to have any detractors. Always look at how you can help others be successful.
2. Deliver results. Focus on the inputs to deliver results not the outputs. Energy placed in the right place will deliver the outcome
3. Get great at PowerPoint. This is key with point 5. Being succinct on your delivery of information, content for a decision or content for collaboration, be clear on your asks as this is where most presentations fall down.
4. Dont talk too much, learn to ask questions, be the third or forth person to contribute
5. Learn to speak in public and be on point. Remove the waffle
6. Always give execs a heads up on things that may get escalated. A key skill is making sure stakeholders understand a risk of escalation. Content needed what have you tried to mitigate the risk, what you are doing next and the next update.
7. Be a great project manager. Key skill to delivering plans
8. Have great Business process skills. Never bandaid, always find the root cause and fix process
9. Collaborate to deliver great strategy, resolve issues and creating plans.
10. Communication is critical to keep everyone across what you are doing and get feedback.
Corporate is where you accelerate your personal development and develop skills that are critical to driving business success.