Friday morning mentor walks I was asked how to network, before I address the how lets look into why? Networks are important for support, advice, opportunities (job or business) , helping others, connecting people with similar interests and having fun!
7 steps on how to network:
- is all about being open to meeting new contacts, going to events and meeting new people. Just say “yes”
- Your mind set need to be open, don’t go with a purpose of finding a job for instance, think about the person you are speaking to and how you can help them. Don’t think about yourself.
- Who in your network could help them?
- Is there a book you have read that could be helpful?
- Do you know about a job opportunity they may be interested in?
- Do you know about an event that they will find useful?
- They may just want to sound out an idea
- Don’t think that a certain event will not be useful, as you are always going to meet people who knows someone who is not at the event, but you need to meet.
- Treat Internal networking the same as external networking
- Take business cards or if you comfortable use apps on your phone to share contact details.
- Remember to connect on linkedin.
- Thank you is a must if they have helped you out in some way
There are many events out there, here are a few in Sydney and Melbourne that I have found informative and great mix of women of all ages and industries: