Preparing for your next role, can be daunting. It is certainly a journey not a destination. Here are 7 steps to take charge of the next career move:
1. Take Charge Of Your Own Career – seek support from an executive coach, mentors and work with people to help you get that next move
2. Stop Over Thinking – take action, fix the situation and move on – over thinking is a waste of time and energy
3. Public Speaking – you can’t avoid it, practice practice practice. Invest in Toastmasters. Start small with internal stakeholder opportunities – put your hand up – put yourself out there and don’t wait to be asked!
4. Step Up – step into the gaps and find the opportunities
5. Be Fearless – be prepared to make the tough decisions and take stakeholders on the journey – face into fear and build resilience
6. Expertise – soft skills and ability to communicate are more important than expertise – don’t rely just on expertise. 70% of women believe expertise alone will secure the next role according to New York Think tank 77.
7. Gravitas – learn when to speak and when to be silent – stop fidgeting and chattering! Have a Julia Bishop moment.
Continue to work on all of the above and opportunities will come your way. All the best with your next career move.